Hey all, I’m just popping in to post my first ever recommendation (to my blog, anyways!). I’ve thought a bit about the format, and I figured it’d be a easy-to-read, quick snippet on a book/audiobook I enjoyed that I don’t want to write a full review on (sometimes I just read too many at once and get lost, or my thoughts just can’t gather fast enough to write one).
So, without further ado, here’s a recommendation for ya’ll! Let me know what you think!
- Title: The Traitor’s Kiss (The Traitor’s Circle book #1)
- Author: Erin Beaty
- Genre: YA Romantic Fantasy (could also almost be defined as historical fiction, other than the fact the world is totally fictional).
- My rating (on my first listen): ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- What I can tell you about this book:
Sage has been labelled undesirable and unmarriable. Which is fine with her- she doesn’t wish to be forced into a marriage when her parents had such a loving, unmatched relationship. Although sometimes she secretly wishes a man would love her for who she is and not shun her for what she isn’t.
When she finds herself apprenticing with the Matchmaker, Sage is over the moon to get out of a marriage and use her brain for once. Sage gets tasked to spy on the men vying for a match, and assisting the Matchmaker in her decision of who her young ladies will be married off to. But this catches the attention of her military escorts- and not in a good way.
With political tensions rising, being a spy is deadly work- even spying in the name of marriage. That is, until Sage gets herself caught up with the soldiers, and is no longer just spying for the Matchmaker. The Traitor’s Kiss is a gripping tale of espionage and tested relationships, with a heart pounding slow burn romance that offers Sage with something to lose in the impending war of her kingdom.
- I’d recommend this to: YA readers who love romance in their fantasy, who love strong heroines and sexy soldiers and traitorous hearts, who love plot twists and secrets and deception and all things espionage.
- I’d compare this to: I’d label this as The Glittering Court mixed with a touch of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 🤔 (besides the zombies… so maybe just Pride and Prejudice then?)